HOURGLASS POWDERS


When these powders were first released, I wasn't that bothered about picking them up. Every time I went into Space NK I had a quick glance over the Hourglass stand and had a swatch and a test and didn't see the attraction. I thought to myself what's so different from these, to say Mac Mineralised Skin Finish Naturals?


From what I could gather, all these are, are three 'new' style powders, different from your traditional flat, matte powder that leaves you feeling dry and caked. I honestly thought to myself, that I wasn't going to like these and that I would skip on the worldwide Youtube/Instagram hype on this palette.

So cut forward a good few years, and lots of brief encounters with this palette in Space NK, I finally decided enough was enough, bit the bullet and bought the £59 palette. Yes I'll admit I nearly passed out when she told me how much it came to, so I said to myself it better be good and if it's not, its going straight back. Three weeks later and I'm in love. 

First of all, I know and I completely get that £59 is absolutely ridiculous for powder of all things, but I will say, once you try out the powders you'll understand why it's so expensive. 3.3g of product in each pan, so just under 10g in total. The powders are cased inside a sleek, burgundy compact, perfect for travel!
What you get in this palette is three powders that are made to mimic certain lighting techniques on your face.  

DIM LIGHT Is a neutral peachy beige that helps 'blur imperfections and highlight a radiant complexion'.

INCANDESCENT LIGHT Is a 'opalescent pearl powder that brightens the complexion with a celestial glow' Also an exclusive to this palette, meaning the others can be purchased separately. 

RADIANT LIGHT Which is a sun-kissed golden beige which adds, warmth and a tanned glow to your complexion, the best way to cheat a tan.


It can be a little confusing, especially if you're not a makeup artist and you're not familiar with the colour wheel and theory. But to simplify it and make it a little easier, the first colour is Dim Light, I would use this on my skin tone (Mac NW13/20) as a setting powder, to lock in my foundation and concealer, by doing this it'll add a natural glow and also help blur imperfections. A glow that isn't shimmery or oily, but makes you look lit from within. 
I would then use Incandescent Light as a highlighter. This has more of a reflect in it compared to Dim Light, so it'll give the illusion of a shiny but not oily, radiance to the tops of the cheekbones, brow bone, cupids bow and down the nose (if that's your thing). 
And lastly, Radiant Light, on my skin tone this can be used as a bronzer to warm up the skin and add a bit more shape and dimension, as apposed to being one flat colour. 

Dim, Incandescent and Radiant























The powders are super soft to touch, and I do think if you're a similar skin tone to me and after a new face powder, highlight and bronzer, then this is the palette for you. If you like a more matte look and not a fan of highlighting, then stay completely clear of this one. 

I was trying to find a dupe/s for this palette through my collections and being completely honest, nothing really does compare. Nothing gives the same look never mind the finish or texture but the most comparable thing in the palette would be the last colour, Radiant Light and the thing it's most similar to is Mac MSFN in Medium Plus. 

If you're thinking of buying this, 100% go into store and try it out first. What looks good on my skin tone, won't necessarily look the same on yours. You want to get this palette right before a remortgage when paying £60 for it. I got mine from Space NK, but I know it's widely available online and in multiple stores!

Hope you enjoyed this post, and if there are any other highend products you'd like me to review, feel free to drop me a tweet or a tag on Insta!

Jack x








makeupbyjack

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MakeupByJack©. Powered by Blogger.